Academic Information Searching, Publishing and Management (TECH/ENG ph.d.-kursus), Aalborg
05.11.2018 - 06.11.2018
Please observe that this course is intended for PhD students within the Faculty of Engineering and Science and the Technical Faculty of IT and Design. We offer a similar course for PhD students within the Faculty of Medicine "Health Scientific Searching and Publishing".
This 2-day course gives you skills and knowledge within a wide range of relevant areas useful during your PhD. The objective of the course is to facilitate your entrance into the academic research world, so it is recommended that you take it when starting your PhD.
The course will cover these essential areas:
- Searching, evaluating and organising information – How to apply a structured method to search information e.g. for a literature review. How to prepare and apply relevant criteria for assessing and documenting the search results. How reference management tools can facilitate the process of organising search results
- Research evaluation – What research evaluation entails. Citations and h-index as measures for evaluating research. How to use the most central databases in research evaluation for your subject
- Publication strategy - How to increase publications’ visibility and searchability in databases through well-informed choices regarding an article’s key features (titles, keywords and abstracts) and choice of publication channel such as BFI and other relevant impact measures. How to use relevant tools and websites for choosing where to publish
- Research visibility, networking and profiling - How to register research in VBN, knowledge and use of researcher identifiers, scholarly networks and Open Access
- Research ethics and copyright for researchers are also a part of the course.
The course is a “toolbox for research”-course with a mix of presentations and hands-on exercises, either working on your own focusing on your own PhD-project or in small groups with a shared focus. Please remember to bring your computer.
The course does not focus on methods for medical information searching and publishing. For this purpose, please see the description for the course Health Scientific Searching and Publishing instead on PhD Moodle.